Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Brooklyn's first week

So this first picture isn't of Brooklyn, but some friends at church got us a cookie bouquet and Haddie was SOO excited!

Each girl has her name on it, and Haddie was especially happy when we told her Brooklyn was too small for her cookie, so Haddie could "help" her eat it. She also had a lot of fun with the ribbons that came with the bouquet.

What a little angel. Here is Brooklyn with daddy's hand on her in her little bed, called an isolette.
We had to touch her through the holes in the plexiglass.

After 3 days with the bili light, a mask to shield her eyes, and the c-pap machine (from my last post, which covered her nose and mouth), it is so wonderful to see her face with just a feeding tube in her mouth. You probably think it still seems like a lot of wires, but we were so glad to see her face for the first time. If I am there at her scheduled time, the nurses let me check her temperature and change her diaper. I was excited to do something for her but so nervous to do her diaper with all the cords and IV's hooked up. The IV in her belly button is the most fragile, and I was really nervous. They won't even dress her until she gets it off, and we aren't really able to hold her much with it in, either. The nurses are so careful and so protective. I am thankful, but it is strange to have to ask permission to hold my baby, especially when the answer is no!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot even imagine being told no you can't hold her, but I certainly understand. Doesn't make it any easier I'm sure. Can't wait to meet her and see you!

Rhoda said...

I hope she is able to come home soon for all of your sakes! I'm sure Haddie, esp. will enjoy being a big sister to both Brooklyn and Sierra. Hang in there!

Mrs. DuPuis said...

I can imagine that this has been an intensely emotional time for your family. And to add a wedding in the mix of all of this!! Will you still be a part of that? So, is Brooklyn completely off her C-pap now? We think of you and pray for you often! Love you guys!